Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Butternut squash and kale risotto

This recipe was requested on facebook and by the mother in law, so you all benefit. 

My mouth is even watering even though I am eating it as I write this.. 
yeah that good.

So lets back up a couple weeks we went to a newish restaurant in our area called Big Grove Tavern that serves local good food. I had the butternut squash risotto. 
So I decided to try to recreate it.. 


(Disclosure: I don't usually write recipes so please forgive me if I miss something, also I recreated this so I don't have exact amounts/most things are approximations, use your best judgement .. sorry)

Small cubed butternut squash
1/2 c. brown sugar
Extra virgin olive oil
maple bacon
kale 
risotto
2 tsp. unsalted butter
1 chopped onion
2 cloves of garlic
4 c. (one container) chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 c. of heavy cream
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese 
Walnuts (my cheap version for pine nuts)



So, first start with the squash (it takes the longest)
Preheat oven to 450
Chop up your squash in 1/4in cubes
put in a pyrex
coat with olive oil and add brown sugar
Cook for 25-30 mins or when soft

While your squash is in oven start the risotto
Put broth in saucepan on med to low heat


In a larger pot, melt your butter
add onions and garlic until fragrant
Add your risotto to your onions and garlic, coat with butter
(if you have never made risotto before, you want to keep it moist and stir continuously)
Add scoops (I do a 1/4- 1/2 c. at a time) of broth to your risotto
continue til your risotto is soft with a bite or your run out of broth

While your risotto is cooking add olive oil to frying pan 
add kale, use a lid and cook down to bright green and spinach looking

Once your risotto is done..
This is where I add the cream, cheese, walnuts, squash and cooked kale
Stir up and serve warm


I hope your enjoy and if you have any questions please let me know.

I am linking up this week here
signature

4 comments:

  1. Yum - I love a good risotto - and this one looks good!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have butternut squash and kale in my fridge and was wondering how to combine them... what perfect timing this recipe is!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. My boyfriend and I went to a fancy restaurant tonight and his dinner came with some type of fantastic butternut squash side. I am now on a mission to find tasty butternut squash recipes. Yours is pinned.

    Thanks for sharing on Marvelous Mondays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now starting to get quite a collection of rice/grain dishes together. Do stop by some of the other links to check them out!

    Ps I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me some love.