Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Your epidermis is showing..

Do you remember that as a kid? Yeah, thats your skin.
Your skin is the largest organ on your body that heats, cools and protects you.
Pretty cool huh? I think so.


Anyways, I wanted to get a little personal with you in my little tiny piece of the internet. 
(I am not doing this to get attention or sympathy, I just want to share my story)

About a month ago, I went to the dermatologist (derm) after a referral from my physician. 

Lets back up a bit, I have gone to a derm since i was about 13-15 for multiple different reasons. I have always been told that I need to stay out of the sun. Have you ever met me? I love the sun and being outside even if its only for 5-10 mins. Well, this has always been my worst enemy. 

I have had 5 moles removed before now and 2 with architectural defects,  
please get your irregular moles checked regularly
(thats my preach) 

Well I hadn't been to a derm in three years since I moved here, back to a month ago.
My physician took 2 moles and sent them in. I received a phone call (always bad news) about a week and half later stating i needed to come back for more investigation.
A month later (today), I went in to get biopsies of both areas.
My doctor said that the way moles work is:
- Normal
-Architectural Defects
-Aplastic Nevi
-Melanoma (Cancer)

These moles were both aplastic nevi (a typical mole). The problem is that some aplastic nevus can lead to melanoma and have to be completely extracted so that they don't turn into that. 
So today I had both nevi taken out further.

With a sense of relief and a bit of pain, I finish up this story. 
Thanks for letting me share this with you.

P.S. If you have moles this is what to look for.. The ABCDE of melanoma

signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me some love.